Saturday, September 25, 2010

Follow Jesus

Dear Malcolm,

Follow Jesus.  No matter what anyone else tells you; follow Jesus.  I am telling you this now because there are too many times that I don’t follow him.  You are going to be greatly influenced by the way that I live before you.  You will see more than most whether or not I actually practice what I preach.  You will be given the opportunity to see if my words line up with my deeds and my deeds with my words.  And unfortunately, you will be privy to the knowledge that all too often your dad fails to remain obedient.  But even in these times, follow Jesus. 

Jesus is the only one who will never disappoint you, provided that your expectations are based in his word.  Jesus will never fail to love completely and unconditionally and his offer of forgiveness will always be present to those who will believe.  I know my heart too well to promise that I will do the same.  Follow Jesus. 

And although I am to be the one who guides you through this life in a pursuit of God’s glory, I know my heart is “prone to wander…prone to leave the God I love.”  I will disappoint you.  I will fail you.  I will act and speak in ways that will surprise you.  And as much as I want you to think that I am the king of the world who can do no wrong you need to know that I am the king of no domain and do most things wrong.  Follow Jesus. 

I want to be the dad who says like Paul said to the Corinthians, “Be imitators of me, as I am of Christ” (1 Cor 11:1).  But when I am not imitating him (or even Paul for that matter), trust in the Lord with all of your heart, do not lean on your own understanding, in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your path straight (Prov 3:5-6).  In the meanwhile I pray for both of us that God would honor my request as I say “here’s my heart, Lord; take and seal it.  Seal it for Thy courts above.”  Follow me only if I follow Jesus.

Love, 
Dad          

No comments:

Post a Comment